|by Sharon J. Glazer, MPH, Editor, Academics@Baystate newsletter | January 03, 2011
At the 96th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) held November 28–December 3, 2010 in Chicago, BMC radiology residents had 6 educational exhibits, 2 of which won Certificate of Merit Awards. They were selected for this honor from among the 1,915 educational exhibits presented.
Certificate of Merit Awards
In each of RSNA’s several sections, a committee of specialists reviews and votes on the accepted educational exhibits. This year, 2 PG4 residents won for their electronic educational exhibits.
- Roozbeh Houshyar, MD’s presentation, “Spoon Full of Barium: A Pictorial Review of Modified Barium Swallow aka Cine Esophagram with Speech Therapist,” was one of 44 awards in the GI section. Dr. Houshyar says he undertook the project to “try to figure out how to do (the procedure) so that it’s the most helpful to a speech therapist.” Accordingly, he acknowledges the assistance of Jeanne Abels, Speech and Language Pathologist in Inpatient Rehab, saying, “I can’t thank her enough. She was incredibly helpful to me.” He is also grateful for the backing of his department, attendings and mentors.
- Jonathan R. Cogley, MD’s presentation, “Emergent Pediatric Ultrasound: What Every Radiologist Should Know,” was one of 16 awards in the ER section. It was also solicited for publication in Radiographics. His other exhibit, “Thyroid Nodule Evaluation: Making It Look Easy--A Multimodality Review Poster Presentation” was solicited for publication in Contemporary Diagnostic Radiology.
Other Educational Exhibits
The following exhibits by BMC radiology residents were also accepted for presentation at the meeting.
- Cheri Nguyen, MD, PG3 resident
“Breast Lesions in Pregnancy and Lactation: A Pictorial Review with Pathologic Correlation and Emphasis on Diagnostic Work-up and Management”
- Jeffrey S. Alvis, MD, PG3 resident
“Iatrogenic Abnormalities of the Extraperitoneal Spaces”
- Peter M. Ghobrial, MD, PG4 resident
“Fetal MR Imaging from Nothing: One Institution's Experience in a Watershed Area between Major Academic Referral Centers”
BMC Radiologists Served as Faculty for Refresher Courses
Two BMC faculty were invited to teach hands-on refresher courses.
Stephen C. O'Connor, MD, Program Director, Radiology Residency, participated in 2 refresher courses:
- “Techniques for Interventional Sonography and Thermal Ablation”
- “Small Parts Interventional Ultrasound”
Vivian Miller, MD, Chief, Breast Imaging Section, participated in 3 refresher courses on 2 topics:
- “MR Imaging-guided Breast Biopsy”
- “US-guided Interventional Breast Procedures”
Both have previously served as faculty for refresher courses. “I consider it a big honor to be asked to participate”, says Dr. Miller. “It is by invitation."
RSNA’s annual conference is the world’s largest international medical meeting with nearly 60,000 medical and science professionals. The 2010 meeting’s distinguished speaker was former president Bill Clinton, and featured 4,200 scientific papers, posters and educational exhibits, at least 700 technical exhibits, and more than 300 refresher courses.
This article was published in the January 2011 Academics@Baystate newsletter.