The American Geriatrics Society (AGS) meeting held in Orlando, FL in May was attended by 4 residents, and 1 fellow who presented 7 posters, 3 of which won awards.
First Place in the Presidents’ Poster Session for Educational Innovations
Dilpreet Singh: "Geri-pearls: integrating geriatrics into internal medicine training." This abstract was also published in JAGS.
Second Place in the Residents' Poster Competition, Case Reports Category
Sora Al Rowas abstract, "When loose glycemic control gets out of control; Empowering patients to make good choices" and Melissa Loh's abstract, "Death due to dental disease: streptococcus dysgalactiae subspecies equisimilis endocarditis" tied for second place. Loh's abstract was also published in JAGS.
Honors Presidential Poster Session
Melissa Loh and Karan Singh: "An unusual presentation of gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) as an abdominal mass." This abstract was also published in JAGS.
A Total of 12 Abstracts Were Published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- Adele Meron: "Two wives? An unusual presentation of Capgras Syndrome"
- Laura Harrison and Leena Rahmat: "Cognitive traps and delayed diagnosis of severe hypothyroidism in a 'demented' elder"
- Vijairam Selvaraj and Jessie Leyse: "Deceptively simple or simply deceptive! "
- Karan Singh: "When Occam’s razor fails: linezolid induced lactic acidosis in an elderly patient"
- Dhivya Sundaramurthy and Annie Yang: "‘Strep’ spares the elder, not the ‘Staph’!"
- Eng Keong Tan and Alina Livshits: "An unusual cause for fever in an elderly man."
- Annie Yang and Dhivya Sundaramurthy: "A case of a not so sweet drug"
Residents Sora Al Rowas and Melissa Loh co-led the annual meeting of the Resident Section of AGS, and Loh was reelected president.
Five faculty, Maura Brennan, Laura Iglesias-Lino, Wanda Colon-Cartagena, Julio Martinez-Silvestri, and Heidi Ann Courtney led or participated in multiple high-visibility teaching sessions. In addition, Maura Brennan organized the entire clinical skills programming and co-chaired the Education Committee’s Subcommittee on Resident Activities. Laura Iglesias-Lino also judged the resident poster session.