All Fellows complete 12 months of dedicated critical care training.
9 months (75% time) in dedicated ICU rotations.
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit (6 months – required)
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (1 month – required)
- 2 months of critical care electives made up of any combination of the following:
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit (additional 1 month)
- Intensive Care Medicine (1 month)
- Cardiovascular Care Unit (1 month)
- Pulmonology/Respiratory Care (2 weeks)
- Infectious Disease/Infection Control (2 weeks)
- Nephrology/Hemodialysis (2 weeks)
3 months (25% time) will be spent in critical care-related surgical services:
- Trauma Surgery (1 month – required)
- Neurosurgery (1 month – required)
- Pediatric Surgery (1 month – required)
In addition, the fellowship includes ongoing curricula:
- ICU administration and management
- Medical nutrition and dietary management
Simulation and Surgical Skills Lab
Our fellows will participate in ICU and resuscitation simulations with the resident services on a weekly basis at the Baystate Simulation Center and Goldberg Surgical Skills Laboratory, an ACS-accredited Level I Comprehensive Education Institute, which provides a state-of-the-art setting for cognitive skills training in patient care and team training as well as technical skills training in open and laparoscopic skills, including endoscopy and robotic simulations.
The SCC fellows are initially given responsibility commensurate with their prior experience and capabilities. As fellows mature, clinical responsibility increases. The fellows and faculty are responsible for daily rounds and direct supervision of medical students and junior residents.
Finally, the SCC fellows act as an interface between the SCC service and the attending surgical staff, the consulting services and families. The fellow receives support and supervision for all of these functions from the critical care unit attending staff. At all times, critical care unit attending staff is present or immediately available for consultation and direct involvement in care as needed.