Applications through VSAS will be accepted starting May 12, 2014.
final year students enrolled in good standing at a non-TUSM LCME school must register through VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, for up to 2 clinical electives.
VSAS applications must document that student:
- Will be in their final year at the time of the elective and enrolled in good standing at a LCME accredited medical school.
- Passed the USMLE Step 1.
- Holds personal health insurance.
- Has coverage of medical liability and/or malpractice insurance held by the home school with coverage of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence and $3,000,000 aggregate.
The VSAS application must include a:
- Current transcript
- Curriculum Vitae
- BMC Security ID Form
- BMC Criminal Background Check Verification Form (uploaded by Medical School)*
- BMC Immunization Form or a school issued immunization certificate documenting all of the BMC requirements. (Please do not send entire medical history.)
- School-issued email address for contacting purposes.
- Performance evaluation form. If form is not included, the Tufts 4th Year Student Evaluation will be used.
* The Medical School must fill out and sign the BMC Criminal Background Check Verification Form. If the School has not run a criminal background check, then a BMC Criminal Background Release Form is required.
Incomplete applications will not be processed. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing. Students must be fully registered at least 45 days prior to start date.
FEE: Within 10 days of acceptance, students must send a non-refundable processing fee of $100.00 total for all approved electives, up to 2 electives, to the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of the elective(s). This fee is in addition to the application fee paid directly to VSAS. Personal checks or money orders made payable to ‘Baystate Medical Center’ only please.
Once application is complete, notification of approval with an offer will be sent via email to your school-issued email address. You will have ONE week to accept or decline the offer before it expires.
Students may cancel or reschedule up to 3 electives without penalty. A student will forfeit all future electives if they:
- Cancel an elective within 30 days of the start date.
- Cancel or reschedule a 4th elective without prior approval of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Fail to report to their scheduled elective.
The following electives CANNOT be dropped:
EMR401: Emergency Medicine
IFD401: Infectious Disease
NEU414: Pediatric Neurology
OBG401: High Risk OB
PED417: Pediatric Acting Internship
Approximately 4 weeks prior to your start date, you will receive orientation information, via email to your school-issued email address, with additional instructions and forms for your elective. You must then complete the following requirements before your first rotation begins.
- Online Orientation Training
- Housing Agreement
- Any updated or incomplete Health Requirements
Registered students are eligible for on-campus housing for up to 2 electives. The fee for on-campus housing is $200 for every 4 weeks.