Kick the Habit. Stop Smoking!
- Most smokers try to stop smoking 5 – 6 times before being successful
- Don’t feel as though you are alone, let friends help you
- Don’t try to taper off. Success rates are better for those who quit completely. SET A QUIT DATE and circle it on your calendar
- Make a list of your reasons for quitting. Keep it with you and read it when you are tempted to light up
- Ask your healthcare provider about nicotine replacement therapy
- Throw away all cigarettes, ashtrays, lighters and matches
- Increase your intake of liquids – especially water. Limit your intake of caffeine and alcohol
- Avoid situations you associate with smoking
- Choose a smoking cessation option to help you go through the process of quitting
You Can Quit - We Can Help - Tobacco Treatment Program
Baystate Medical Center offers a six-session course designed to guide you through the process of quitting smoking. This program will help you:
- Understand your habit
- Learn alternative coping strategies
- Promote a lifetime of freedom from smoking.
Courses take place throughout the year. Sessions are held from 6 pm to 7:30 pm. Call the Baystate Health Link at 413-794-2255 or 1-800-377-HEALTH (4325) for dates and program registration.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center's six-week program, taught by Cheryl Ruf, Tobacco Treatment Specialist and Respiratory Therapist at BFMC, is designed to help you learn more about nicotine and the challenges faced by those who wish to quit tobacco use. Nicotine replacement therapy will be provided at a reduced rate for those who qualify.
The fee for the entire six week program is $50. Nicotine replacement therapy, gum patch or lozenges are available at a reduced rate for those with medical approval from their primary care physician.
To register or learn more, call Baystate Health Link at 794-2255 or toll free at 1-800-377-HEALTH.