About Baystate Children's Hospital
Free Courtesy Shuttle
About the Hospital: The inpatient units (infants and children, adolescent and young adult)for Baystate Children’s Hospital are located on two floors in the Daly Building and serves newborns through age 22. The fourth floor is the main Children’s Hospital and the sixth floor is for adolescents. Directions.
Local hotel accommodations with special "Baystate Medical Center " rates are available for visitors. A list of these hotels is available by clicking on the link above, on all units and through the Patient Relations Office at 413-794-5456. The Ronald McDonald House, located within one block of the hospital, also provides low-cost accommodations on a limited basis for families of Baystate Medical Center patients. For more information, please call 413-794-5683.
- Ice cream social - Thursdays
- Breast feeding moms get free trays of food (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- $4.00 for breakfast, $5.00 for lunch and dinner
- Patients eat for free from the room service for kids menu (link)
- Refrigerator on floor
- Complementary coffee/tea/juice for families and visitors
- Can bring food from outside in a sealed container.
Free Courtesy Shuttles To the D’Amour Center for Cancer Care
Baystate offers a complimentary weekday shuttle service for patients in Hampshire and Franklin counties who are receiving radiation therapy at the D’Amour Center for Cancer Care in Springfield. The shuttle departs from Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield at 8 am and returns at 11:15 am. In Northampton, the shuttle departs from Pioneer Valley Family Practice on Conz Street at 8:45 am and returns at 10:45 am. And in Ware, the shuttle leaves Mary Lane Hospital at 12:40 pm and returns at 3:10 pm. For more information or to take advantage of this free service, please call Carol Griswold in Greenfield at 413-773-2251 or Diana Dolan in Ware at 413-967-2245.
Should you require a Notary Public while you are at Baystate Medical Center, a list of all employees who serve in this capacity is available through the Patient Relations Office and can be reached at 413-794-5456.
Rooms: The Children's Hospital consists of 16 private double-occupancy rooms, 5 isolation/quarantine rooms for patients with contagious/unknown conditions. Children are matched according to age and diagnosis.
Each room has two call buttons. A nurse call button and a Staff Assist Button which is used as an emergency button for an immediate response.
White Boards – include pictures of the staff on the white board so you can recognize your health care professional.
- Hugs tags (security monitor for ankles or wrists for kids).
- Child cannot leave floor without Doctor’s order
Pediatric Rapid-Response Team - The Chidren's Hospital has a P.R.T. (Pediatric Rapid-Response Team) for respiratory issues. A parent or nurse can call for this service and will receive an immediate response by a nurse, respiratory therapist, physician or resident who will assess your child.
While here – we supply diapers, wipes, formula and/or food for patient.
- Siblings allowed to visit can use the playdeck unless they have a contagious condition
- The Playdeck is only for pediatric patients and their siblings
Treatment Team/Staff: Patients are assigned to a multi-disciplinary treatment team as they are admitted based on their condition. You can expect hourly visits from staff including residents, physicians, nurses, child life specialists and experience guides as they check in with patients daily.
- Personal Care Technicians - help with an infant's bathing, diaper changes
- Child Life Specialists – go over procedures, provide toys, movies, computers, play stations to the room and coordinate music therapy, clowns, character from Six Flags, and ice cream socials.
- Experience Guides - Experience Guides are Baystate Children's Hospital staff who are here to serve you. They are here to help:
- Ensure that you and your child receive excellent care
- Have a positive experience
- Address any complaints you may have
- Watch the children so parents or other caregivers can take a break.
Technically they close at 8:00 but security can send people through. Parents are welcome at any time to stay overnight come and go anytime. 1 cot per room.