Patient Safety is about:
- Eliminating preventable medical mistakes
- Guarding against the impact of human error
- Establishing hospitalwide systems to safeguard patients' health and well-being.
Baystate Health emphasizes understanding the "why" and "how" events happen, not just on "who" caused a particular error. The Baystate Health divisions of healthcare quality are responsible for ensuring that Baystate facilities provide the safest treatment possible. Some of their patient safety initiatives are:
- Taking a leadership role in educating Baystate employees to make patient safety their highest priority and to follow patient safety guidelines in all patient interactions.
- Administering a Safety Reporting System (SRS), a web-based computerized event and near-miss event reporting system.
Baystate Health has joined other Massachusetts hospitals in subscribing to the "PatientCareLink" Continuing the Commitment to Safe Care" initiative.