Hospice volunteers are special people. They have a true desire to help. They are caring, emotionally mature, and comfortable talking about death and dying. By providing respite time and emotional support, they can be a comfort to the entire family.
|Our next open house for anyone interested in becoming a Hospice volunteer is happening on March 13th, 2015 from 11:00AM to 12:30PM. We are located at 50 Maple Street, Springfield, Massachusetts at the BVNAH. Please come to ask questions, learn more about becoming a Hospice volunteer and hear how we serve our patients' needs.
There are many types of volunteers, such as:
- Companion volunteers — offer supportive listening and temporary respite for caregivers. They may assist with meal preparation, light housekeeping, shopping, transportation to doctor appointments, and other errands
- Volunteers sit vigil during the last hours in absence of a family member
- Certified practitioners — provide complimentary therapies such as Reiki, therapeutic massage, therapeutic touch, guided imagery, therapeutic music and aromatherapy
- Reiki & Therapeutic Touch Practitioners use their hands to facilitate a feeling of deep relaxation beneficial to those experiencing pain, agitation or restlessness
- Certified Massage Therapists use massage and reflexology to ease aching muscles, lessen tension, and balance the energy that flows through the body
- Volunteer hairdressers — give haircuts in the patient’s home
- Puppeteers — helps explore emotional issues around death in a non-threatening way
- Pet therapy volunteers — provide friendly visits with their dogs
- Office volunteers — give general office support to the hospice team.
Hospice volunteers are thoroughly and comprehensively trained on a range of topics such as emotional support, emergency procedures, universal precautions, and the importance of respecting patient and family rights. Volunteers also learn how to listen more effectively – which may be the most important service a volunteer can provide.
To inquire about hospice volunteer opportunities, please call 413-794-6472