A Service of Baystate Medical Center
Baystate Medical Center’s Surgical Oncology Division provides surgical care to patients diagnosed with cancer.
Our surgical oncologists, who perform surgeries that
cancerous tumors, work closely with other specialists to develop the best treatment plan for many cancers. Our specialist include:
• Medical oncologists – physicians who specialize in diagnosing and treating cancer using chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, and biological therapy.
• Radiation oncologists - physicians who specialize in the treatment of cancer patients using radiation as the main modality of treatment.
• Plastic surgeons – surgeons who specialize in reducing scarring or disfigurement that may occur as a result of accidents, birth defects, or treatment for diseases, such as melanoma.
• Gastroenterologists – physicians who specialize in the diseases of the stomach, intestine, liver and pancreas.
• Radiologists – physicians who specialize in reading and interpreting diagnostic x-rays and performing specialized x-ray procedures.
A multidisciplinary team that includes physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses and medical assistants jointly coordinates care. You will build a relationship with your team that will follow you through
• Pre-operative teaching
• Post operative recovery
• Follow up care.
Read our Patient's Guide to Cancer Care online....
Surgical oncologists also team with other cancer specialists and perform procedures such as catheter placements to facilitate the administration of drug treatment and nutrition.
Primary care physicians should refer patients to BMC Division of Surgical Oncology for all care and services. Call 413-794-5265 to make an appointment.