- Are between the ages of 21 and 65. (Patients under 21 or over 65 years may be candidates and are evaluated on a case by case basis.)
- Are 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or greater with at least 1 medical condition that could be improved with weight loss surgery including: diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease, sleep apnea or other medical conditions that may also qualify depending on your insurance
- Have a BMI of 40 or greater (see BMI calculator) with or without the above medical conditions
- Are willing to use weight loss surgery (WLS) as a "tool" in addition to good nutrition, certain eating behaviors and physical activity for the rest of your life
- Are free from drug and alcohol dependence
- Are committed to lifelong medical and nutritional follow-up as well as vitamin and mineral supplementation
If you answered YES to the above statements, weight loss surgery may be your best option to lose weight and improve your health.